Monday, September 10, 2012

The Magnificent Storyteller


It’s the moments that I fall on my face in adoration that breaks my heart the most. The moments where every song I hear is turned into a testimony of loving God and longing for more of Him. My favorites are those where I’m laying left cheek smashed against the surface of my fairly new 20 dollar IKEA carpet, mouth on an old fashion bible (remember the ones with pages that have actual ink that can smear if touched before dry), and I am literally and metaphorically eating the Word of God. From an outsiders perspective I probably look strange and awkward, but to me it is natural, to me there is nowhere I’d rather be then consumed by the Spirit. I feel like I am in the middle of storytelling time where I am the listener and God the magnificent storyteller.  Except it’s not stories, it’s truth. It’s real life spit out.  Where God says His throne is heaven and the earth His footstool and every word, every letter, sounds like He is actually breathing it into my ear. The small “house” sounds that seem to begin only at night when the world is hushed silences and I am left with a voice that is not my own. And when the fan begins to blow too fast and my body turns numb from the artificial wind I cant’ stand up, I can’t move—I don’t want to leave that beautiful taste of His word and the humming of His voice.  His breath is breathtaking and that makes me laugh in irony. The God that the world misconstrues as being nothing but nice is also a righteous condemner to the evil and that fascinates me.  To some that may sound harsh. To some I may look like a lover of people suffering. But to that some I ask do you know God? To that wondering some I give them the opportunity to open a Bible and read every part (not even skipping over the family names). Forget the John 3:16, its been engraved in every brain and In-N-Out cup in America. Try Isaiah 66:24 where the dead bodies worms will not die or Joshua 10:11 where God kills more of the world with hail than by the swords of the Israelites. I am not forgetting the grace and love of Jesus or why He died on the cross I am doing just the opposite; I am exposing the truth that God is magnificently righteous, that He is the creator of all things, that sin has corrupted the world and in the end Jesus will come again to bring justice to the wicked and every bone and piece of flesh that make up an individual will know the true beauty of the King.  

[Real time posting: August 11, 2012 1:03 am]

No comments:

Post a Comment